Saturday, April 1, 2023

In Anno Itinerantur - A is for Aeroplanes and Airports

#AtoZChallenge 2023 badge A

In the past year since  travel opened up for Australians Robert and I have taken several journeys at home and overseas. 

While I posted many photos of these adventures on Facebook I want to leave a more permanent record of some of our adventures. This challenge provides me with opportunities to share my photos and stories while recording some personal history. 

I plan to share photos and stories from our travels between April 2022 and March 2023.  My theme this year is In Anno Itinerantur. 

Australia is a big country so when we are doing a short trip within a few hundred kilometres of we drive. We will often hire a rental car to explore destinations overseas. To travel further in Australia or reach an overseas destination or cruise ship we go by aeroplane. I took a look at my profile on MyFlightRadar to see when I had been in the air.

I found that I had taken 21 flights varying in distance from 753km (Brisbane to Sydney) to 14,524 (Heathrow to Perth). For the short flights we mostly ride up the back in Economy, for medium length or daytime flights we move up to Premium Economy and on the long haul journeys we treat ourselves in Business Class. 

My Flights - April 2022- March 2023 from MyFlightRadar

I find the check-in and security the most painful part of flying but keep saying "No pain, No Gain". I feel much safer when there are rigorous security checks.

We were in this long check-in queue in Norfolk Island airport - August 2022

After check-in, and when we have access, I will fortify myself with some bites and bubbly in an airport lounge. It's wonderful to wait in comfort especially when there are delays. I also take the opportunity to fill the empty water bottle I have in my carry-on.

Bubbly in Air New Zealand Lounge during a 2 hour delay - Sydney Airport 2023

I like to board early and settle into my seat.

Five family members settled in for JAL daytime flight to Tokyo

Although we've heard the safety briefing many times it's smart to read the safety card for each plane.

Japan Airlines - Tokyo to Haneda

It's fun when you can watch the take-off from your seat.

Ready for take-off in Dubai

When in a window seat taking some aerial photos gives one a different perspective on places we travel. 

Early morning return to Sydney - October 2022

Approaching Norfolk Island

While in the air I watch movies, read books and sleep. Sometimes I enjoy a meal and  on other occasions I reject. I usually take everything on offer so that I can select what appeals most. 

While this meal on JAL was quite acceptable the meal on our return journey was very poor 

As we approach our destination I pray that our bags appear and that there is a luggage trolley available to carry them to our onwards transport.

Just in case, we take photos of our bags so we can describe them if something goes awry.

Luggage ready for return home

24 comments:

  1. I love this taste of what's to come in your a to z posts Jill. I had never thought to take photos of my luggage so that's a great tip for me. I always have that feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach as I wait for my luggage to appear on the carousel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Jennifer. Now I have a few posts scheduled I feel comfortable about the challenge.

      Delete
  2. I wish all planes would have a camera outside that we can watch during the flight but especially takeoff and landing!

    Anubis and the dogs of Egypt [Life with Mia]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be able to watch the display especially if in the middle of a wide bodied plane.

      Delete
  3. I loved seeing your photos, and flight information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flight info app is free and fun. I have listed flights back to the early 2000s.

      Delete
  4. Your post is very interesting. Taking a photo of your luggage is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That approach to Australia is a beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photo of you all masked up on the plane. Great idea to photograph one’s luggage. I must try that flight app. And of course the from-the-air photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by Krisitn. With all our travels we have been fortunate - some bags have been delayed but have caught up quickly.

      Delete
    2. Oops Molly. I responded to the wrong person earlier. I'm looking forward to your posts too.

      Delete
  7. I love the clear, happy, relaxing pink and cream to your blog design . Your photographs are lovely and I look forward to reading more about your travels . A question - you quote distances in kilometres - is this the Australian custom, as I thought you would still be using miles? Britain is all mixed up with using metric or imperial measures - sometimes using one e.g. metric for weights but miles for distances.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, Jill - I keep forgetting this new way of commenting. The last Anonymous comment was me - Scotsue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, Australian measurement has been metric for many years, Decimal currency came in 1966 followed by weights, and measures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good theme for A2Z 2023 Jill. I look forward to the other posts. I love flying, airports less so, especially those vast ones. And you know why photographing suitcases and tags are a good idea ;) It does always seem a modern wonder when they appear at the other end. Wish I’d added our myriad flights to MyFlightRadar over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauleen, Missing you in the challenge this year, I know you love to travel. Hoping some of my memories resonate with you.

      Delete
  11. An A to Z travelogue sounds exciting in any language, even in Latin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I hope you can join me on the journey

      Delete
  12. I'm definitely going to enjoy your posts!

    My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your aerial photos are amazing! I can relate that airport security is a nuisance and scary, but they keep us safe, although once they made us miss our plane, as I travelled alone to the USA with my small kids and left us almost an hour on a waiting room like an hour checking all our documents.
    It´s interesting how nowadays it´s so normal to see people with masks on that now I feel weird when I see them on the street with the masks off.

    Visiting from https://steampunkcowunicorn.wordpress.com/2023/04/02/a-is-for-abask/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...