Thursday, April 13, 2023

In Anno Itinerantur - K is for Knockers

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter K

In the past year since  travel opened up for Australians Robert and I have taken several journeys at home and overseas. While I posted many photos of these adventures on Facebook I want to leave a more permanent record of some of our adventures. This challenge provides me with opportunities to share my photos and stories while recording some personal history. 

I plan to share photos and stories from our travels between April 2022 and March 2023.  My theme this year is In Anno Itinerantur. 

The theme Knockers does not refer to those people who habitually criticise others and their actions (Australian slang) but to items of door furniture. These items, usually hinged and made of metal allow visitors to an establishment to  announce their arrivals and gain entry to a property.

In the days before electronic doorbells and remote door openers many homes had impressive knockers. Most of those I have encountered are in European countries but I have seen a few in the US and South America.

I have a bit of a door fetish which extends to door furniture like knockers. I dug into the year's archives to see what I had found recently. Following are 20 Something Snaps of Knockers many of which are from Italy where we spent a few weeks..

Somewhere in Italy

 Musician's house? Lerwick, Shetland Islands

Note the indentation on the door, there's been some serious knocking in Siena, Italy

An Egyptian influence in Siena, Italy

A lion in Florence, Italy

Could this be a fisherman's house in Italy

I would have had trouble reaching this high knocker in Rome, Italy

Not a welcoming countenance in Rome, Italy

A big Cat in Rome, Italy

Another Roman knocker

A cheeky visage in Rome, Italy

A handy knocker in Rome, Italy

Door damage evident on this knocker in Rome, Italy

Yet another Roman knocker

One of several leonine knockers in Rome, Italy

Could this be a new knocker in Italy?

A simple knocker with door protection in Siena, Italy

Found in Florence, Italy

Surrounded by studs in Florence, Italy

A substantial knocker in Lucca, Italy

Looks like Granny in Trento, Italy

Worse for wear in Rhodes, Greece

Glowing knocker in Rhodes, Greece

Simple knocker on a fancy door in Rhodes, Greece

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful and unique! Most of the doors in my hometown Calcutta had a version like the last plain one of the photos, till the 60s/70s. All my relatives lived in houses where I had to use knockers as a child. I think doorbells took over from the late 70s onwards. Some still have them, but as a feature only.
    Visiting from the A-Z and enjoyed your post greatly. All the best for completing the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. I have visited India in the past but there was so much else to focus on I didn't take many doorish pictures/

      Delete
  2. Do you have a fancy door knocker at your house that you bought as a souvenir?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, We would never hear a knocker, when we renovated we went electronic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some fierce faces there! I love the Lerwick one best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have been to frighten hawkers and bible bashers away

      Delete
  5. Some are stylish, some are quite lovely, some chunky, and some downright scary! I'm with Pauleen, I like the Lerwick one best and for something different, Granny is great.
    What a great collection of photos Jill, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, not Anonymous. Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobbie, The change to the commenting is challenging me.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you on the admiration of door knockers. Durham Cathedral has a very famous door knocker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great collection of knocker photos. I tend to take photos of doors & windows, now I need to add knockers to my list when we visit Europe.

    My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful selection of Knockers. We first started to notice these when on holiday in Prague and they are so photogenic. From Susan (Scotsue)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a few more Scottish ones in my collection Sue, Just didn't spend much time there in the past year.

      Delete
  10. I love photographing entire doors when I travel, but your focus on the door knocker is equally fascinating. I particularly love the granny from Trento!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Molly, I have the doors covered too. Sad isn't ti?

      Delete
  11. My paternal grandfather's house had a large brass knocker on the main door. It was a Lion with a glorious mane and a stuffy expression :-) That is the only knocker I remember seeing in my part of the world, over a period of time. Knockers have become an aesthetic part of the decor, and the main door to the house have them out of that consideration. The utility is non-existent today.
    I love how detailed you are on your travels in taking pics Jill. 20 Pictures from our archives of just Knockers is amazing. I particularly loved how you decoded who the house might belong to based on the design of the knocker :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've few knockers from India, the places we have went were so visually rich that I didn't take many closeup images.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...