Tuesday, April 25, 2023

In Anno Itinerantur - U is for Up Close

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter U

In the past year since  travel opened up for Australians Robert and I have taken several journeys at home and overseas. While I posted many photos of these adventures on Facebook I want to leave a more permanent record of some of our adventures. This challenge provides me with opportunities to share my photos and stories while recording some personal history. 

I plan to share photos and stories from our travels between April 2022 and March 2023.  My theme this year is In Anno Itinerantur. 

On our most recent cruise on the Seven Seas Mariner one of the guest lecturers was English photographer, Benedict Brain. Robert and I were enthusiastic attendees at Benedict's series of lectures and workshops. Ben talked about the Art of Seeing and encouraged us to be mindful of the world around us and the images we record of our environments. We have already taken on board some of Ben's many tips to improve our photography. 

Ben discussed the value of looking closely at the things we see and encouraged us to take close-in shots  of them. I have been doing this for several years, not for any particular purpose other than I find the images visually appealing. Ben's suggestion affirmed my practice. This post is devoted to some of this year's "Up Close" images. 

Rocks - Jar Island, Kimberley Region, Australia

Cliff face - Cone Creek, Kimberley Region, Australia

Eucalypt leaves, Pilliga Forest, Australia

Carpet - Charles Dickens Museum, London, England

Garden - The Swannery, Abbotsbury, England

Garlic in the Market, Millesino, Italy

Chestnuts - Millesino, Italy

Cane chair - Papeete, Tahiti

Coastline, Tahiti

Moss on tree - Teahupoo, Tahiti

Flower - Point Venus, Tahiti

Fabric in market stall - Pago Pago, American Samoa

Flowers in pond - Fiji

Glass screen, Seven Seas Mariner

Coffee connection, Seven Seas Mariner

Pebbles - Norfolk Island

Cactus - Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy

Grapes in a vineyard, Piedmont Region, Italy

Tree bark - Sandstone Caves, NSW

Look closely to see the fish - Alanya, Turkey

Jackfruit - Bora Bora, French Polynesia

Sea - Montgomery Reef, Kimberley Region, Australia

Fossil?? - Edeline Island, Kimberley Region, Australia

Palm tree - Broome, Australia

Flowers - Highclere Castle, England

Outside a florists - Rome, Italy

Paving - Siena, Italy

Roses - Radda in Chianti, Italy

Flowers - Agiosos, Lesbos, Greece

Cliff face - Sandstone Caves, NSW

Choose your own fish - Restaurant, Kusadasi, Turkey


8 comments:

  1. Close up patterns can be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Fantastic photos all the way around!

    Donna McNicol - My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  3. These closeups are lovely -- they could even be framed or made into note cards. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a great diversity of images - and equally likely to bring back memories as the landscape photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to wake up to comments, thanks all. I am thinking that ""Close up" or Up Close" could be a theme for a future AtoZ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous close ups Jill and once again I commend you on the curation. The one of the fish in the sea in Turkey is my favorite :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these up close photos Jill. My favourite is the the carpet at Charles Dickens museum

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...