Monday, April 10, 2023

In Anno Itinerantur - H is for Home Sweet Home


#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter H

In the past year since travel opened up for Australians Robert and I have taken several journeys at home and overseas. While I posted many photos of these adventures on Facebook I want to leave a more permanent record of some of our adventures. This challenge provides me with opportunities to share my photos and stories while recording some personal history. 

I plan to share photos and stories from our travels between April 2022 and March 2023.  My theme this year is In Anno Itinerantur. 

I am a perennial pasenger when we are travelling. We are either in a tour bus, a boat, a car with a driver or Robert is behind the wheel of a rental car. A phone or camera for snapping will always be in my hand or beside me. 

Because I have an interest in people and where and how they live I take many snaps of residential buildings. On reviewing my photos for this post on homes in different countries I have deleted many snaps that are out of focus, crooked, missing vital parts or have massive telegraph poles or powerlines obliterating their facades. Nonetheless I still have a massive archive of  "Home Sweet Homes" we passed during the year. 

I will restrict this post to 20 Something Snaps taken recently.

Typical weatherboard house in Baan Baa, NSW

Converted Church in Baan Baa, NSW

White row houses in Ullapool, Scotland

Fancy brickwork in Henley-on-Thames, England

Neat cottage in Tuatira, Tahiti

High Rise in Papeete, Tahiti

Large traditional over water house in Bora Bora

Modern residence in American Samoa

House on large plot of land in Fiji

Colourful row houses in Cobh, Ireland

Neat block of flats in Dublin, Ireland

Handsome stone residences in Lerwick, Shetland Islands

Housing with a water view in Reiti, Italy

Stone housing in Assisi, Italy. I doubt they had off-street parking

Brightly painted in Bari, Italy

New housing development near Ephesus, Turkey

Older houses in Rhodes, Greece

Rural housing near Alotau, Papua New Guinea

Little Nellie's House on Spike Island, near Cobh. Ireland

Were these cute homes in Wales formerly Slate Miner's houses?

Apartment living typical of Rome, Italy

A model of Hadrian's home, Villa Adriana in Italy - UNESCO World Heritage Site

Streetscape of apartment buildings in Rome, Italy

This house looks out of place in Mitilini, Lesbos, Greece

Houses on the hill in Lesbos, Greece

Modern apartment buildings in Jerusalem, Israel

Older housing on one of Jerusalem's hills

A typical timber house in American Samoa

The Trulli or Cone Houses at Alberobello, Italy - A UNESCO World Heritage Site

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.

14 comments:

  1. A great variety of home sweet homes here Jill. I also love seeing the where and how people live on my travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your support for my posts Jennifer.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy living life vicariously through your travels. At least I get to see a lot of places I am now very unlikely to see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Nicely done!

    My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fascinating collection of homes that inspired me to do something similar. I have been pleased to photograph chalets in Austria and the clapboard houses in New England but longed to go inside them to see the style of interior decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. I also love taking tours of historic homes when we are out travelling.

      Delete
  5. These houses are fantastic! I always like photographing ancestral homes when I go genealogy sleuthing -- and occasionally I'll even find an inside view on a real estate site. My favorite here is the church converted into a house. Very unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a few country churches here have been deconsecrated and turned into homes. A sign of a society that is not so religious as in former times.

      Delete
  6. The washboard house and cottage are super cute. I wouldn't mind living in either one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrys I wonder what they look like inside.

      Delete
  7. Large or small, expensive or not, home is home. It’s fascinating to see the variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our materialstic society it's a shame that some houses people inhabit lack the warmth of a home.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...