Saturday, April 22, 2023

In Anno Itinerantur - S is for Streetscapes

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter S

In the past year since  travel opened up for Australians Robert and I have taken several journeys at home and overseas. While I posted many photos of these adventures on Facebook I want to leave a more permanent record of some of our adventures. This challenge provides me with opportunities to share my photos and stories while recording some personal history. 

I plan to share photos and stories from our travels between April 2022 and March 2023.  My theme this year is In Anno Itinerantur. 

When organising my digital photos I attach labels or keywords to their metadata so that, in future, I can easily find and retrieve them. One label I regularly use is "Streetscape" which I apply to images that display more than one building and sometimes a piece of road or a park. These images may also include, traffic, infrastructure and people. They can tell the story of a location and are not necessarily beautiful, They may be crooked or out of focus if taken from a moving vehicle.

For this post I have sifted through the hundreds of  "Streetscapes" I have captured in the past year.

On our walk to get a Covid test we found ourselves looking towards
the Gherkin in London, England

Puffing uphill in Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Patriotic display in Chalfont St Peter, England

Flags fluttering in Henley-on-Thames, England

No cars in Portofino, Italy. We arrived by ferry.

Wide Boulevarde in Verona, Italy

Plenty of tourists at large in Verona, Italy

Stalls set up in the main street, Bora Bora

Shopping precinct in Pago Pago, American Samoa

Welcoam sign in Pidgin in Port Vila, Vanuatu

Busy Saturday morning in Alotau, Papua New Guinea

Swimming pool along the promenade in Cairns, Australia

Stone houses in Wales

It was a wet walk in Lerwick, Shetland Islands

A very busy square in Siena, Italy

From my hotel window - a canal in Lucca, Italy

Athens, Greece was busy on a hot summer's day

Saturday morning in Nadi, Fiji

Rome, Italy

We hit the rain in Florence, Italy

Glorious sunshine in Split, Croatia

13 comments:

  1. Once again, these are fabulous photos Jill. With all your travels, you must have a huge number of photos. My favourite here is the stone buildings of Wales. Your photo brought back so many memories of a wonderful trip to Wales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my snaps Jennifer. Each time I look at one it evokes a memory I would probably otherwise forget.

      Delete
  2. I wish I had done that with my photos - I have them going back to 2001 and the only way they are sorted are in folders by date and location/event. Way too much time now to try to add tags. Good for you!

    Donna McNicol - My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're halfway there if they are already organised by time and place. Never too late to start :-)) with a few Who and What keywords.

      Delete
  3. Such a great variety. I enjoy looking back at my travels too and evoking memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all pretty but they portray the differences in our world

      Delete
  4. Brought back many memories for me though also some new temptations. You could have had a theme for flags too ;) Loved the Gherkin and Alotau best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gherkin was a surprise - I looked up the street and there it was.

      Delete
  5. A wonderful collection of such a wide variety of Streetscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so eager to comment, I forget first of all to specify my name - the above comment is from me - Scotsue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I would remember to do that with my photographs Jill. You have an amazing collection and now I know how it is that you are able to curate them so well for the posts for the challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a former librarian I am into cataloguing and lists

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...