Thursday, April 6, 2023

In Anno Itinerantur - E is for Evening

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter E

In the past year since travel opened up for Australians Robert and I have taken several journeys at home and overseas. While I posted many photos of these adventures on Facebook I want to leave a more permanent record of some of our adventures. 

This challenge provides me with opportunities to share my photos and stories while recording some personal history. I plan to share photos and stories from our travels between April 2022 and March 2023. My theme this year is In Anno Itinerantur.

Travel is exhausting so, if we have been touring all day, we will usually be found  having a quiet dinner, watching TV news (if we can find some in English) and fortifying ourselves for the day ahead. When were are cruising on Regent and don't have a tour at dawn we will often take in the show which is performed in the theatre each evening.

When there is an evening sailaway we may go up on deck to enjoy the views as we head back out to sea. We particularly enjoyed our departure from Cairns which I described in an earlier post.

Two evening events made a great impression during the past year.  First was the Vivid Festival in Sydney last May when we spent three nights at a city hotel to be close to the action. I put photos and comments in a blog post at the time. We hadn't visited Vivid since 2013 and it has certainly grown. I would love to go to this event again.

Sharing the evening light parades through the eyes of our grandchildren when at Disney Park in Tokyo was an experience that I relished. We adults enjoyed this just as much as the youngsters. Following are some images from that cold January evening.













Two days later, at DisneySea, we stayed to view the evening show and watch the Disney volcano erupt. While this was spectacular I preferred the parade at the Disneyland.

Whenever we visit London we take in some West End shows. On our visit last year we managed to see three: Grease, TINA – The Tina Turner Musical and a golden oldie My Fair Lady. I enjoyed all three of these very different musicals but found that the actor who played Tina was exceptional. 

When we arrived for the Tina show we were told that there would be a delay. Apparently some of the cast were ill (Covid??) and they needed to sort things out. We waited patiently for over an hour while things were organinsed. It transpired that the young woman who performed the role of Tina that night was the understudy's understudy. 

Grease at the Dominion

My Fair Lady at the Coliseum (I'm often early)

Tina at The Aldwych

12 comments:

  1. Jill I went to Vivid pre Covid and loved it. Going to a show in London is our tradition too but I haven’t been for a few years. Last time I saw Chicago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, Do come back to Vviid again - it was so much better last year.

      Delete
  2. Vivid is on my wish list. It looks spectacular. While we sometimes go to concerts we don’t usually attend musical performances or plays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauleen - you could combine Vivid with a trip to ESMP.

      Delete
  3. Superb photographs, Jill. I would love to have seen the Vivid Festival in Sydney. I was reminded of Blackpool Illuminations in my birthplace in the seaside resort in north west Lancashire- with wonderful displays and tableaux for miles along the seafront.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan - Blackpool is on my bucket list - not for the illuminations but to see a typical English seaside site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ae love Disney in Florida. I lived there when it was opened and have visited many times over the years. I really miss the Magical Electrical Parade, your photos reminded me of it.

    My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to return to Disney without the children and concentrate on the less adventurous attractions.

      Delete
  6. That light show looks amazing. Pre-Covid, I went to a Chinese Lantern Festival which had similarly mesmerizing displays. There is lot to be said for light shows after dusk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivid is huge, one needs a couple of nights to see it all.

      Delete
  7. Combining Vivid and ESMP would be a good strategy. Maybe 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you stop by our place to visit the Hunter sites.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...