Monday, April 24, 2023

In Anno Itinerantur - T is for Toilets

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter T

In the past year since  travel opened up for Australians Robert and I have taken several journeys at home and overseas. While I posted many photos of these adventures on Facebook I want to leave a more permanent record of some of our adventures. This challenge provides me with opportunities to share my photos and stories while recording some personal history. 

I plan to share photos and stories from our travels between April 2022 and March 2023.  My theme this year is In Anno Itinerantur. 

Unless one has the constitution of a camel a traveller will need to visit a toilet when out and about in foreign places. I have been known to keep a photographic record of some of the conveniences I have passed by or visited.

Toilets are known by many names, I like to call it the Loo or, when not in polite company, the Dunny. It bears many other names including Rest Room, Little House, Conveniences, Facilities, Toot, WC and Sh*thouse. What I can't understand is why many people call it a Bathroom, a bathroom is a room which may contain a toilet but many bathrooms do not house a toilet they may have a shower, basin,or a bath tub bit not always a toilet. In my teaching years I corrected many a student who asked if they could be excused to visit the bathroom. Our schools are not usually equipped with bathrooms.

Many tourist sites have signposts that direct travellers towards the toilets. Even when these are in a foreign language their intent is usually clear.

In a hotel in Italy

Side (yes, that's a place), Turkey

Highclere Castle, England

Via the red carpet - at a palace in Istanbul, Turkey

At DisneySea, Tokyo

And then there are the loos.

There is no access to this outhouse at the cemetery in Quipolly, NSW.

I think it was locked. Werris Creek Railway Station, NSW

For the girls at Baan Baa, NSW

Conveniently located in the foyer, Villa Pitiana, Italy

Luxury on Seven Seas Explorer

Rudimentary drop toilet in Papua New Guinea

Neat and clean in Palm Cove, Queensland

Another option in Palm Cove, Queensland

On the dock in Darwin, Australia

These needed attention at the lookout in Quirindi, NSW

Temporary toilets to deal with the crowds at the Vivid Festival, Sydney, Australia

Neat and tidy at Spike Island near Cobh, Ireland

Portmeiron, Wales

Very basic facility on drive from Ullapool, Scotland attracted a long line of desperate travellers

The dull and drab facilities at Cawdor Castle were not in sync with the magnificence of the castle

The loos at Highclere Castle, England were also unimpressive
 
I think Japan takes the prize for the cleanest toilets in all the countries I have visited.

13 comments:

  1. Now that's quite the pictorial tour of toilets. The older I get, the more I have a concern for toilets--preferably clean ones. When my wife and I take our long road trips I'm on the lookout for the best toilets I can find. We have certain designated stops where we have previously encountered decent facilities.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Lee. A clean facility can make a long journey more agreeable.

      Delete
  2. What a great collection. You need to peek at my letter Q in my B&W A-Z.

    Donna McNicol - My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting and unusual post… and I enjoyed the read and look. A couple would make me question if I really had to go. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the toilets -- a travel essential! I think I've visited most of the varieties here, including the outhouse :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly - travelling in Japan where the toilets are so clean was such a blessing with two grandchildren in tow. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my this is an interesting post and you are quite right about toilets and bathrooms. I had done a post about the smelliest Loo I ever visited on my travels. I have a huge problem using public toilets and though I do not have the constitution of a camel, I generally hold till I can find a nice loo. It is a huge bother for me when I travel as with increasing age, I am finding it difficult to not use the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit to owning a SheWee https://www.shewee.com/

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, Jill. Surely you must take the prize for the most original title for the letter T. We have been in some unusual and attractive toilets in Austria! But here I think they are very mundane in appearance and I would never have thought of photographing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my -- !!!

    I definitely agree that many a loo is visited on one's travels, but I've never seen such a variety photographed. *laugh*

    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...