Tuesday, April 11, 2023

In Anno Itinerantur - I is for Indigenous

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter I

In the past year since  travel opened up for Australians Robert and I have taken several journeys at home and overseas. While I posted many photos of these adventures on Facebook I want to leave a more permanent record of some of our adventures. This challenge provides me with opportunities to share my photos and stories while recording some personal history. 

I plan to share photos and stories from our travels between April 2022 and March 2023.  My theme this year is In Anno Itinerantur. 

I believe that my 3x Great-Grandmother, Biddy Sergeant, was a woman of the Kamilaroi nation. My heritage has fuelled my interest in First Nations people and history.

During the past year I was fortunate to visit several sites that provide insight into First Nations History.

At Willow Tree, a small town in Kamilaroi country in north western New South Wales there is a display devoted to the Kamilaroi. I had my camera in hand when we made a stop there. The display is set on the highway in a park near the railway station and pub. It has several interpretative signboards and a winding path with several sections showing aboriginal symbols. 







On a visit to the Sculptures in the Scrub walking track in Timmallallie National Park NSW we saw sculptures that were created through artists collaborating with local Aboriginal Elders and young people. These pieces tell stories of local Aboriginal history and culture. Some images follow.







On our Coral Expeditions cruise through the Kimberley region in remote North Western Australia we visited sites of significance to First Nations peoples. Of particular interest were the rock paintings we were able to view.

The first site visited was on Jar Island in Vansittart Bay where the Gwion Gwion (Bradshaw) Aboriginal rock paintings are estimated to be up to 20,000 years old. We were pleased that we were in the company of a guide who could find and point out the images for us. 








At the site on Bigge Island or Wuuyuru in the land of the Wunambal people we saw several clear paintings in caves. These included depictions of Wandjina figures and tales of first contact between Aboriginal society and other peoples.






12 comments:

  1. What a special moment. Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting Jill, great photos. Kerrie M

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting Jill, and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What amazing photos of indigenous sites you visited -- particularly given that you may have an ancestral connection to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of indigenous history here. The First Australians have been her for 60,000 years.

      Delete
  5. Wow, so nice to be able to visit your history. Great photos & write-up.

    My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many wonderful indigenous sites to see in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rock art is fantastic and marvellous to connect with your ancestral places

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some wonderful opportunities to visit sites of the Kamilaroi people last year when Robert was working in the area. We went exploring most weekends.

      Delete
  8. Isn’t it wonderful that we are finally coming to recognise the culture and knowledge of our Indigenous peoples. The Wandjina paintings are among my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a rich culture - we are making an effort to visit more sites. I may have just booked a Cairns to Darwin overland trip.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...