Monday, April 1, 2024

A-Z Blogging Challenge 2024: A is for Altars

 Looking back through my travel photos I see that in many places we visited there was, on our agendas, an Abbey, Cathedral, Chapel, Church, Convent, Monastery, Mosque, Pagoda, Synagogue, Temple or other place of worship. As we travel along the road I take some snaps of God's many houses we pass by. These buildings range from ordinary to ostentatious. 

For the Blogging from A to Z April 2024 Blogging Challenge my theme is Gods' Houses. During April I invite you to join me for an online tour of Gods' Houses from my digital albums.

The focal point of God's Houses is often the altar. Wikipedia's entry for Altar states: An altar is a table or platform for the presentation of religious offerings, for sacrifices, or for other ritualistic purposes. Altars are found at shrines, temples, churches, and other places of worship. They are used particularly in paganism, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism,[a] modern paganism, and in certain Islamic communities around Caucasia and Asia Minor. Many historical-medieval faiths also made use of them, including the Roman, Greek, and Norse religions.

Here is a selection of altars from my collection, some images captured years ago aren't too clear.
Temple Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Temple, Kuching, Malaysia

The Little Chapel, Guernsey, Channel Islands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Chapel

St Paul's Cathedral, London, England
https://www.stpauls.co.uk/

Church in Eysturoy, Faroe Islands

Church in Goa, India

Basilica of the Annunciation, Nazareth, Israel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_the_Annunciation

Church of the Nativity, Bethlehem, Palestine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Nativity


Church in Antwerp, Belgium


Rotunda of St Marija Assunta, Mosta, Malta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotunda_of_Mosta

Church in former Penal Colony, Iles de Salut, French Guyana

Modern Cathedral in Galway, Ireland
https://www.galwaycathedral.ie/


Underneath the altar Dubrovnik, Croatia

Baan Long, Tuang, Thailand

Changi Chapel, Singapore

Chapel in Arica, Chile

Temple, Mumbai, India

The Pantheon, Rome, Italy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheon,_Rome

Small rural Church, Visby, Sweden

Temple, Hoi An, Vietnam


Thanks for stopping by. Please return for B is for...

27 comments:

  1. A wonderful variety of foci for worship
    Visiting from A to Z https://anneyoungau.wordpress.com/2024/04/01/a-is-for-the-admiral/

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting selection, Jill, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you support Lilian. It's not too late to join the challenge. ;-))

      Delete
  3. My goodness, you have really traveled. What amazing photos of such a variety of altars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Pamela. Yes we are fortunate that we can travel but we love our home in Australia.

      Delete
  4. I knew when i saw your theme that I would enjoy your AtoZ posts. It's great to see all these altars. The only one of these that I've seen in real life is St. Pauls London. Looking forward to more AtoZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer - I've plenty of images up my sleeve.

      Delete
  5. I have seen three - the Pantheon, St Paul’s and I think the temple in Hoi An but really took little notice of the altars so your photos are a pleasant reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, my photos are great memory joggers of places I may forget.

      Delete
  6. Lovely blog post. I used to do the challenge years ago. I meant to join this year's when you mentioned it a while ago. Next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. Just took a look at your website - your books look fascinating - I've bought the Kindle version of "My Roman Holiday"

      Delete
  7. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com): An interesting theme. Looking forward to seeing what else you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. I'll be going on a Barbie journey with you.

      Delete
  8. Brizzy Mays Books and BruschettaApril 2, 2024 at 12:00 AM

    You have a wonderful collection of photos, Jill. Great start to the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And back at you - looking forward to big doses of Aussie nostalgia in your posts.

      Delete
    2. What an amazing collcetion or very ornate altars!

      I'm not sure if I am really commenting from my google account, but this is Kristin from findingeliza.com

      Delete
  9. Ah, now I am commenting via google. I don't remember ever seeing such ornate altars in person. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the old European ones are way over the top.

      Delete
  10. An impressive collection of altar photos. I'm personally a fan of simplicity, such as the altar in the Faroe Islands photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your theme for this A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have quite a variety of worship alters, etc. I've always been drawn to the California missions - probably because we learned about them in school and would take field trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I have photos of some of those buildings but I mustn't have added keywords to find them easily.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for stopping by. I've plenty of photos to share the next 25 posts.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...