Thursday, April 4, 2024

A-Z Blogging Challenge 2024: D is for Domes and Dragons

 Looking back through my travel photos I see that in many places we visited there was, on our agendas, an Abbey, Cathedral, Chapel, Church, Convent, Monastery, Mosque, Pagoda, Synagogue, Temple or other place of worship. As we travel along the road I often take snaps of God's houses we pass by. These buildings range from ordinary to ostentatious. 

For the Blogging from A to Z April 2024 Blogging Challenge my theme is Gods' Houses. During April I invite you to join me for an online tour of Gods' Houses from my digital albums.

Today we check out a few domes which I saw on Christian and Islamic buildings. The dragons were found on buildings in several Asian countries.

Bulguska, South Korea

Mosque - Abu Dhabi


Dolmabahce Mosque - Istanbul, Turkey

St Pauls Cathedral, London

Omar Ali Saifuddien MosqueBanda Seri Begawan, Brunei

The Golden Dome of the Rock stands out in Jerusalem, Israel

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Les Invalides Military Cathedral - Paris, France

Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, Thailand

The Marble Church - Copenhagen Denmark

The Marble Church - Copenhagen, Denmark

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Dragons atop a Temple, Singapore

Mosque - Muscat Oman

Beijing, China

Shanghai, China

12 comments:

  1. I do love domes and dragons. These are great photos, and must have been great travels!
    https://nydamprintsblackandwhite.blogspot.com/2024/03/magical-botany-d.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Anne. Putting the posts for this challenge together makes me realise how fortunate we are.

      Delete
  2. I never realized there were so many religious buildings adorned with dragons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Asian temples have them, so different from some of the plain Gods' Houses we see around us.

      Delete
  3. There are some fabulous dromes and dragons here Jill. On our travels I love looking at the ornamentation of historic buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rather fond of old buildings too. Maybe because we don't have any really old ones in Australia

      Delete
  4. We visited the Baha'i House of Worship, in Wilmette, Illinois which has an incredible dome. I've climbed in the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral, London, 528 steps when I was much, much younger and nimble! I remember that the steps are very close together and it feels really strange coming down, almost like you're stepping into thin air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of things I should have climbed when I was younger. There was so much to see in St Pauls, I chose going down to the crypt rather than up and up.

      Delete
  5. elegant domes and fearsome but charming dragons - none of those buildings look ordinary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much wealth in some of these buildings

      Delete
  6. I am enjoying your posts. I wouldn't have thought of dragons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories of Asian Temples came to mind when I was brainstorming topics for the challenge.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...