Monday, April 22, 2024

A-Z Blogging Challenge 2024: S is for Spires and Steeples

Looking back through my travel photos I see that in many places we visited there was, on our agendas, an Abbey, Cathedral, Chapel, Church, Convent, Monastery, Mosque, Pagoda, Synagogue, Temple or other place of worship. As we travel along the road I often take snaps of God's houses we pass by. These buildings range from ordinary to ostentatious. 

For the Blogging from A to Z April 2024 Blogging Challenge my theme is Gods' Houses. During April I invite you to join me for an online tour of Gods' Houses from my digital albums. 


As I'm not sure about the difference between a spire and a steeple I asked Google for help. This article from a 1946 newspaper on Trove enlightened me:

"DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A STEEPLE AND A SPIRE
Many people think that a steeple and a spire are the same thing, but they are wrong. The steeple is the tower of a church and includes any superstructure, such as a spire or lantern, erected upon it. A spire, on the other hand, is the pointed termination given to a tower or turret, and is usually car-ried up to a great height. Spires were only built after the introduction of the Norman style of architecture. At first they were not very acute, but later some very graceful spires were built."
1946 'DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A STEEPLE AND A SPIRE', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 6 March, p. 26. (The Argus Week-end Magazine), viewed 15 Apr 2024, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article22232385Steeples and Spires often dominate a city or town's skyline just as minarets do in Islamic countries. I think that most of the following images are steeples.


St Martin's Cathedral - Bratislava, Slovakia

LDS Temple in Temple Square - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Church of the Immaculate Conception - Vicuna, Chile

St Luke's Anglican Church - Scone, NSW, Australia

St Francois Xavier Church - Paea, Tahiti, French Polynesia

St Malo Cathedral - St Malo, France from a ferry

Hamburg, Germany

Cologne Cathedral - Cologne, Germany

Bordeaux, France

Hellesylt, Norway

Cobh, Ireland

Barcelona Cathedral - Barcelona, Spain


Basilica of the Immaculate Conception - Lourdes, France

Copenhagen, Denmark

Antwerp, Belgium

Bern, Switzerland

Florence, Italy

Montevideo, Uruguay

Stóra Dalskirkja -Iceland

Matthias Church - Budapest, Hungary

San Isidro Cathedral - - San Isidro, Argentina

Notre Dame Cathedral - Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam

6 comments:

  1. I am sure I have been using the terms steeples and spires interchangeably and incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, I just realised as I read your explanation of the differences of a steeple and a spire, that I really hadn't known that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for including a photo from Broome, Australia. It is a stark reminder that this country is so young, at least in anglosaxon eyes, compared to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My collection of Aussie church pics is small as I only seem to take photos when travelling overseas. I took plenty in Broome as that was on a holiday.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...