Tuesday, April 9, 2024

A-Z Blogging Challenge 2024: H is for Holy Men and Women

 Looking back through my travel photos I see that in many places we visited there was, on our agendas, an Abbey, Cathedral, Chapel, Church, Convent, Monastery, Mosque, Pagoda, Synagogue, Temple or other place of worship. As we travel along the road I often take snaps of God's houses we pass by. These buildings range from ordinary to ostentatious. 

For the Blogging from A to Z April 2024 Blogging Challenge my theme is Gods' Houses. During April I invite you to join me for an online tour of Gods' Houses from my digital albums.

Each religion has adherents, Holy Men and Women,  who join in worship or pray in Gods' Houses. 

Pilgrims prostrate outside temple - Lhasa, Tibet

Monks praying in temple grounds - Lhasa, Tibet

Nun at The House of  the Virgin Mary - Mount Koressos, Turkey

A Grandchild's Christening at Christ Church Cathedral - Newcastle, NSW, Australia

St Marys Anglican Church - Waverley, NSW, Australia

Rev Terence Dicks 
at St Marys Anglican Church - Waverley, NSW, Australia

This man showed us how Muslims pray at the Mosque -  Salalah, Oman

At The Solovetsky Monastery - Solovetsky Island, Russia

Outdoor Mass at the Basilica of Bom Jesus - Goa, India

Choirboys - Monserrat, Spain

Outdoor Mass, Church of the Beatitudes - Sea of Galilee, Israel

Orthodox Church - Bucharest, Romania

Sister of Charity, Sister Mary Eugene, worshipped at
St Vincents College Chapel,  Potts Point, Australia

Monk - Wat Phra Doi That, Suthep - Thailand

A Sunday Morning - Somewhere in Austria

A friendly smile - Mykonos, Greece

Visiting the Basilica of the Holy Trinity - Fatima, Portugal

Rehearsal at the Mosque–Cathedral of Córdoba - Cordoba, Spain

Procession - Prague, Czechia

Young man at Mosque demonstrating pre prayer washing
Salalah, Oman 

Friars, Church of the Beatitudes - Sea of Galilee, Israel

Hindu Temple - Mumbai, India

Guard Duty Church of the Nativity - Bethlehem, Israel

Czestochowa, Poland

Mosque - Muscat, Oman

11 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoying all your pictures each day, what a prolific photographer you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I had added more keywords, I thought wheen and where was enough. I'll name the buildings in future.

      Delete
  2. I think in Austria you were at Heiligenkreuz Abbey, "a Cistercian monastery in the village of Heiligenkreuz in the southern part of the Vienna woods, c. 13 km north-west of Baden in Lower Austria. It is the oldest continuously occupied Cistercian monastery in the world." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiligenkreuz_Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anne. I've been using Google Lens to identify some buildings but this one had me stumped. It was a stop on a coach tour quite a while ago. I'll add to to the original file.

      Delete
  3. I'm loving your photos Jill, and these photos of the people of the churches are really great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hit the road with my cameras in a few weeks

      Delete
  4. What an excellent theme and such great pictures. They remind me of First Samuel 2:2, There is no one Holy like the Lord, Indeed there is no one besides You, Nor Is there any rock like our God. (NASB)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another interesting selection of photos. The sister of charity caught my eye. My mom taught music at a parochial school whose staff was primarily sisters of charity -- so I well remember their white cornettes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister Eugene was one of my teachers, a sweet and saintly woman

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I have come across a good range of beliefs in my travels too

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...