Tuesday, April 23, 2024

A-Z Blogging Challenge 2024: T is for Tombs

Looking back through my travel photos I see that in many places we visited there was, on our agendas, an Abbey, Cathedral, Chapel, Church, Convent, Monastery, Mosque, Pagoda, Synagogue, Temple or other place of worship. As we travel along the road I often take snaps of God's houses we pass by. These buildings range from ordinary to ostentatious. 

For the Blogging from A to Z April 2024 Blogging Challenge my theme is Gods' Houses. During April I invite you to join me for an online tour of Gods' Houses from my digital albums. 

Britannica online tells me that "Tomb, in the strictest sense, is a home or house for the dead; the term is applied loosely to all kinds of graves, funerary monuments, and memorials." That is how I am defining tombs in this post but I'm only including  tombs from Gods' Houses.

Pardon my French!

Jacques Cartier - St Malo Cathedral, France

Arthur, Duke of Wellington, St Paul's Cathedral, London

Horatio Nelson, St Paul's Cathedral - London, England

A Family Grave - St Mary's Haddington, Scotland

One of 40 buildings at the site, Hue, Vietnam

The Graveyard at The Rock of Cashel - Cashel, Tipperary, Ireland

The Graveyard, The Church Notre-Dame de l'Assomption, Cordon, France

The Mausoleum, Saltaire United Reformed Church, Saltaire, England

The Mausoleum, Saltaire United Reformed Church, Saltaire, England

An ancestor's simple marker - Gomersal Moravian Burial Ground

Vasco da Gama, Jeronimas Monastery - Lisbon, Portugal

Children Jacinta and Francisco Marco - 

Tomb of Christopher Columbus, Seville Cathedral - Seville, Spain

Mausoleum of Mohammed V - Rabat, Morocco

St Francis Xavier, Basilica of Bom Jesus - Goa, India

Louis Braille, Pantheon - Paris France

Victor Hugo, Pantheon - Paris, France

Some of my Kealy kin, St Joseph's Churchyard - Ballyfoyle, Kilkenny, Ireland

I'm not sure if this is a Memorial or if it contains the remains of the persons named.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, Thailand.
Following are two closeup images from the structure

Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, Thailand.

Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, Thailand.

Lillie Langtry, St Saviour's Churchyard - Jersey, Channel Islands

4 comments:

  1. I could dream of being interred in one of these magnificent tombs, Jill. My favourite is the Basilica Of Our Lady Of The Rosary Of Fatima.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have my plot with a view of the sea.

      Delete
  2. I like the family tomb. Something comforting about being buried with your family. I would not want to be buried in one of the elaborate indoor tomb. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'm neither famous or infamous I don't need to worry either.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...