Friday, April 19, 2024

A-Z Blogging Challenge 2024: Q is for Quaint and Quirky

 Looking back through my travel photos I see that in many places we visited there was, on our agendas, an Abbey, Cathedral, Chapel, Church, Convent, Monastery, Mosque, Pagoda, Synagogue, Temple or other place of worship. As we travel along the road I often take snaps of some of God's many houses we pass by. These buildings range from ordinary to ostentatious. 

For the Blogging from A to Z April 2024 Blogging Challenge my theme is Gods' Houses. During April I invite you to join me for an online tour of Gods' Houses from my digital albums.

Q is one of those troublesome letters, I pondered on Q adjectives for a while and decided on Quaint and Quirky for this post. What I have managed to find are are a few of God's Houses that are different from the norm or one of a kind. 

I found The Ossuary at Sedlec (The Bone Church) rather spooky, I was saddened to see the remains of so many people there. But who am I to judge as I have visited there twice as a tourist.

The embellishments are made from human bones

A Store of Skulls





On a trip to the Channel Isles we visited several Churches. On Jersey we were entranced by St Matthews Glass Church which is known for its glass features by Lalique.





A ferry ride away on Guernsey we saw some other churches including The Little Chapel which is decorated with seashells, pebbles, and broken china.






On our first trip to Helsinki, Finland in 2006 we  enjoyed a short recital in the Temppeliaukio Church which was hewn out of rock. Helsinki was such a beautiful city that we returned for a longer stay.

Unassuming entry 



 
Our cruises have taken us to Kotor in Montenegro several times. Each visit we join a different land tour. One of those tours included a boat ride to Our Lady of the Rocks, whose buildings are the only ones on a tiny island off Kotor.
 
Our destination

On the island


Are these leftovers from the many weddings celebrated here?

Stunning views out to the fjord and Kotor

6 comments:

  1. The Ossuary photos are a bit creepy Jill. They reminded me of when I went into the Catacombs in Paris. I love Little Chapel with it's decorations. I was wondering what you would come up with for Q. Great response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sticking with me during the challenge. I need to play catchup with my comments

      Delete
  2. The Ossuary was very quirky but interesting. Loving you photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its definitely spooky, each of those skulls belongs to a human.

      Delete
  3. Some of these photos were by far too confrontational, Jill, but boy were they interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That church makes one realise how little some humans were valued.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...