Monday, April 15, 2024

A-Z Blogging Challenge 2024: M is for Mosques and Minarets

Looking back through my travel photos I see that in many places we visited there was, on our agendas, an Abbey, Cathedral, Chapel, Church, Convent, Monastery, Mosque, Pagoda, Synagogue, Temple or other place of worship. As we travel along the road I often take snaps of God's houses we pass by. These buildings range from ordinary to ostentatious. 

For the Blogging from A to Z April 2024 Blogging Challenge my theme is Gods' Houses. During April I invite you to join me for an online tour of Gods' Houses from my digital albums. 

When we are driving along the roads in countries with Islamic populations the first thing we see are the Minarets of their Mosques reaching to the sky. For this post I am mostly sharing building exteriors, interior images are shared in other posts.

 My images, as they may have been taken from tour buses, could be unclear or crooked.

When visiting a mosque women must remove their shoes, dress modestly and cover their heads.

My visit to a mosque in Salalah, Oman (2014)

Cairo, Egypt (2005)
V
Dubai, UAE (2007)

Dolmabahce Mosque - Istanbul, Turkey (2007)

Hagia Sophia - Istanbul, Turkey (2022)

Istanbul, Turkey (2022)

Fujairah, UAE (2015)

Al Bidyah Archaeological Mosque, Fujairah, UAE (2015)

Old State Mosque - Kuching, Malaysia

Brunei (2018)

Kampong Pintu Malim Kampong Mosque - Brunei (2018)

Jame' Asr Hassanil Bolkiah MosqueBandar Seri Begawan, Brunei (2018)

Mombasa, Kenya (2015)

Ismalia, Egypt (2014) - Snapped from a ship in the Suez Canal

Mosque and Church - Egypt (2014) - Snapped from a ship in the Suez Canal

Sultan Mosque - Singapore (2017)

Gibraltar (2012)

Sharjah, UAE (2015)

Dubai, UAE (2015)

Singapore (2017)

Robben Island, South Africa
Nelson Mandela was incarcerated in the prison there.

Penang, Malaysia (2014)

The Gambia (2018)

Salalah, Oman

6 comments:

  1. I remember visiting an Episcopalian Church with my friend when I was about 12 and having to cover my head. I didn't have to remove my shoes though. There are several mosques in Atlanta. Some have the domes, but some are just in regular buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was growing up and going to church we had to have heads covered and dress modestly p definitely no trousers.

      Delete
  2. The ones from Turkey brought back wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I enjoy this challenge. It gives me an opportunity to relive our travels. Some places stick in my mind and some I can't remember.

      Delete
  3. I have a soft spot for mosques and love to see them on my travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are naturally curious about foreign places

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...