Monday, October 18, 2021

Whodunnits in Scotland

I came across a new female detective whose antics kept me amused last night.

I'm always on the lookout for some light reading with a mystery attached so I was pleased to meet Marion Todd's creation, Detective Inspector Clare Mackay, as she chased a serial killer in the area near St Andrews in Scotland. The plot was simple, the characters well drawn and I didn't work out who the likely culprit was until a couple of pages before it was revealed. I liked Clare who had been unlucky in love and lived alone with  her dog. The relationship Clare had with her dog and co-workers added some touches of humour to the story. The book's descriptions of the dismal Scottish winter made me realise that my one experience of that season in Scotland was enough, all other visits have been between May and September.

Unfortunately the title I read,  What they knew, was the fourth book in this series, I prefer to read series in order. I chose this as it was the only one by the author immediately available for loan as an eBook from a local library and I didn't realise that it was part of a series. I presume that this series is popular as the other titles had to be placed on hold. I have now placed a hold on the first book, See them run, and will proceed with reading the series in order. I look forward to solving more mysteries and meeting some of Clare's former love interests. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...