Saturday, June 25, 2022

Spike Island

 We knocked another item off our bucket list with a visit to Spike Island In Cork Harbour today. As I am interested in sites related to convict transportation. This was of special interest to me as two of my direct ancestors Patrick Curry and Ellen Moore were transported from Cork to Australia in the 1820s. At that time the former monastery on Spike Island was used as a fort but then later that century as a prison where some transportees may have been housed.

The site is huge and I returned to the ship footsore but so satisfied. Of course I took my camera with me and took several snaps.

A short ferry ride took us from the port of Cobh to Spike Island.
I spy our ship in the background.

There was an app available for tech savvy visitors

We followed the map but didn't manage to walk the whole site

There were several interactive activities to amuse the visitors

The prison entrance was up a steep incline but old people like me got could get a ride up

A typical prison cell

This impressive building hosted a museum with displays

There was plenty of signage and information boards 

Not the Patrick Tierney in my family tree

A Prisoner's Plea

Small Chapel

Looking back to Cobh from Spike Island

Looking up from the ferry wharf

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...