Monday, March 6, 2023

Mapping our ways

While some folk may find this intrusive I love the monthly Timeline update I receive from Google that tells me where I have been in the preceeding month.

My February Travel Map

I receive this  "because I turned on Location History, a Google Account-level setting that creates Timeline, a personal map of my visited places, routes and trips."  In a nod to security I have this data set so that only I can access it. 

While it may miss those rare journeys I take without my mobile phone the app keeps a record of most of the places I have visited in Australia since 2013 and internationally since 2017. My all-time data report does not therefore list all the places in countries like India, Tibet and Egypt that I have been!

Some of the places I have visited since 2013


I try to label all my photos each night when travelling but sometimes I can't remember the spelling or correct names of particular sites, Google plots these for me so I can apply accurate labels later. It also helps when I am trying to date some random photos. I also use this data as a reference to update my Google travel map.

Being able to look at a map of places I have been for each day since 2013 is a great way to reminiscence and, for a blogger, provides many ideas for stories. 

Following is a map of our recent pre-cruise day when we hired a car in Tahiti and drove as far as we could around the perimeter of the island. These maps can be expanded to show fine detail.

A Day's driving in Tahiti


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...