Wednesday, November 8, 2023

A Break between Cutlets

One of the few meals that my mother cooked well was crumbed lamb cutlets which she regularly prepared for us. My kids loved these and now my grandchildren who have developed a taste for them often request when coming to our home for dinner.

Back on 6th October Robert and I prepared some cutlets for dinner with a daughter and her daughters. I had been feeling a little unwell during the day but I still managed to put three cutlets away. 

Four weeks later our other daughter and her family visited for a cutlet dinner. On this occasion Robert prepared the meal and I exercised restraint by devouring only one cutlet. 

Crumbed Cutlets - a family favourite

The four weeks between these two cutlet meals proved to be rather eventful for me.

I had a most uncomfortable night on the 6th October with sharp abdominal pain. On being woken by me early on the 7th Robert said "I'm taking you to hospital". 

By 6:30 am I had been delivered to Lake Macquarie Private Hospital Emergency Department where I was given some welcome pain relief and had blood tests and a CT scan. I was made comfortable and had to wait for the pathology and CT results. It didn't look good. I had diverticulitis, a perforated bowel and an abscess in my colon. The consultant on call wanted me transferred to the large public hospital nearby where I could have emergency surgery immediately if necessary.

So this reluctant patient was popped into an ambulance for her ride to John Hunter Hospital. On arrival I was assessed by the surgical team who, because I had other medical issues, decided to treat my condition conservatively with IV antibiotics and other mysterious potions. For nearly two weeks and after daily blood tests and two CT scans it was noted that the IV treatment wasn't doing its job and that the abscess was growing.

At this time I was tired of the public hospital and felt like a ping pong ball being bounced from one doctor to another. I finally demanded a change to a surgeon (nominated by me) and a transfer to the private hospital down the road. At last I got some action. I was transferred and scheduled for surgery on 20th August. 

Off to surgery at last

The surgeon was able to remove a couple of sections of my bowel and drain my abscess without the need for a colostomy. I spent the next 12 days (5 in ICU) in the private hospital with regular visits from my surgeon before being sent home under the care of supernurse Robert.

While I'm not eating much I am so grateful that just four weeks after that first cutlet meal I am on the road to recovery and was able to celebrate with one crumbed cutlet.

Thanks to all my family, friends and genimates who have followed my journey via Facebook. Social Media and other means. Your support is much appreciated. 

5 comments:

  1. I was sorry to hear you weren't well Jill. It sounds like you have had a tough time of it. You must have felt like a pin cushion after those daily blood tests. Crumbed Cutlets are also a favourite in our family. Good to hear you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are improving Jill. I haven’t had cutlets for years and they were also a family favourite for us. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care and get well soon. Best wishes from Ayman and I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all so relieved that it was (finally) taken care of, especially without the colostomy. So good that you are now able to relax at home with super nurse Robert. Cutlets are the bonus.

    Pauleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks all for your encouragement. Cutlets were on the menu again when daughter number two visited on the weekend.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...