Monday, December 10, 2012

Hell on Earth

10 December 2012

What a day we had on Ile Royale in the beautiful Iles Du Salut (one is Devil's Island), French Guyana, the site of a former French penal colony and the setting for the novel and film Papillon. It was a beautiful spot that in ways reminded us of Port Arthur.

There was no organised tour of this isolated spot with few inhabitants so we spent our time wandering around the site at our own pace.







That's Devil's Island over the water













Schoolgirl French came in handy in the small museum



Devil's Island

View from our ship



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...