Friday, October 26, 2018

Mapping our way

Mr GeniAus and I love to travel.




For some time now I have recorded the places we have visited on TripAdvisor's Travel Map. Recently a number of fellow mappers have commented on the stability of this Tripadvisor feature. Not wanting to lose the list of places I'd been I investigated how to download my map data. I found the information on how to do this here: https://download-your-travelmap.christianhaller.com/

I was able to download the map in two formats, a .csv file (I knew what that was and how to open that) and a .kml file that I knew nothing about. After downloading the two files I spent some time learning about .kml files and how to open them. I was able to import the .kml file into Google Earth and display it there.

As I'm more familiar with Google Maps and My Maps I investigated how to view the data on that site. All I had to do was create a new My Map and import my .kml data. That was easy. Once I made the map public I was able to select Embed on my site from the Share options for my map.

I created a new static page for my blog and then I pasted the few lines of code into my page using the .html input option and the map appeared.

As I feel that Google Maps will be more reliable than the Travel Map feature on Tripadvisor I will now update my list of places visited on my new Google GeniAus Travel map.

You can view my map here on my new page.


3 comments:

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...