Saturday, May 7, 2016

Goodbye Dolphin Street

 7 May 2016

We closed a chapter in our family life today when we sold my parents' home. While I never lived in this property it was at the centre of our family activities and the site of many celebrations for the many years of my parents' residence. 

28 Dolphin Street

Mum and Dad purchased 28 Dolphin Street around 1979 when I was expecting my last child. After several years of apartment living and, as new retirees, they were tired of climbing the three flights of stairs to reach their home unit. They wanted a small home close to transport and with a garden to amuse Dad, they also wanted to have an outdoor space where their grandchildren could play. 

Dolphin Street served them well until Dad's dementia forced him into a nursing home.  Mum soldiered on in the family home for several years after Dad's death until she decided she wanted to move to a retirement complex. We rented out the home for several years until we realised that the land taxes on the large plot were quite excessive and that her money could be better invested elsewhere. 

After a short advertising campaign the auction day arrived. There had even been a short video advertisement on Youtube.

 

 As well as my husband some of our children and grandchildren came along to support me on auction day.

The Auction flag was flapping

Quite a crowd gathered in the backyard for the auction

I watched the action through the kitchen window

The spirited bidding brought a pleasing result

As I stood in the backyard for the last time I reflected on many happy memories


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...