Sunday, May 15, 2022

Caves and Sculptures in the Bush

 We set off on our Sunday Drive in beautiful weather.


We left the sealed Newell Highway and joined a dirt road, the Pilliga Forest Way, towards our first stop the Salt Caves. These are situated in a well resourced picnic area in Timmallallie National Park. Thankfully we were in a large 4WD as the road was uneven. 



We passed on climbing the viewing tower


Robert explored inside the cave

From the inside looking out

Picnic Area

After scoffing our picnic lunch we headed for our next stop The Sculptures in the Scrub further south in Timmallallie National Park. As we drove towards this second site we noticed clouds gathering in the direction of the sculptures.


By the time we reached the turnoff to the sculptures light rain was falling but we continued on our journey.

Turnoff to Dandry Gorge where the sculptures are situated

The rain followed us all the way to the carpark. We sat and pondered, I decided to pass on the hike as I was concerned about falling on the slippery path and I didn't want to get wet (we had no rain gear or change of clothes) and end up with chest issues. Robert decided to take off on a truncated walk to view the sculptures while I sat in the car and enjoyed the peaceful environment. 

Following are some of Robert's photos. Having seen them I hope to return one day when the conditions are more suitable.












In spite of the rain we had a splendid day. As this post is already long enough I will post another with some other images we captured. What made this excursion even more special was that it was in the lands of my Kamillaroi/Gamilaroi ancestors.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...