Tuesday, April 26, 2022

It wasn't quite the Eurostar...

 ...but I had a very comfortable train ride from Narrabri to Newcastle yesterday. I can't remember the last time I took a long train ride in Australia. I think it was probably Sydney to Melbourne on the new Southern Aurora in 1969.

On The Southern Aurora in August 1969 (Note the bouffy hair)

The Xplorer two carriage train was spotless, the staff very pleasant and helpful and the $10 hot meal was good value and more palatable than expected. I was expecting the seat to be a bit more spacious but there was plenty of leg room. I was surprised to find that the train was fully booked so I thanked my lucky stars that the seat beside me was unoccupied for more than half the journey.




Always the earlybird

I didn't take as many photos of the countryside as I had hoped as the scratched and spotty windows were a hindrance. Nevertheless I enjoyed the changing landscapes we passed on both sides of The Great Dividing Range.

I particularly enjoyed the free entertainment provided when our two carriages hooked up with a few from Armidale to make a longer train. We were given the option of remaining on the train or "stretching our legs" and watching the procedure. I am so pleased I took the opportunity.



Note the little old lady taking a photo 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say so I encourage you to say G'day in comments on my posts.

Sorry I have turned word verification on but I am just getting too much spam to allow comments without this feature.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...